This past Friday I invite my good friend SK over for dinner.
She was whippin up a fish entree and I was responsible for an appetizer. Thursday was a bit of a bender at the new Keg in Yaletown (thank you work function), so I was still kinda hung over and lethargic. Not the best energy for whipping up an elaborate dish. So this salad seemed like a good idea – courtesy of a Jamie Oliver recipe.
Ingredients (serves 2):
750 grams of smoked salmon slices
3 smallish potatoes (I used Yukon gold)
Half cup of capers
1 cup of plain yogurt or creme fresh
2 tablespoons of horseradish (get the good shit – the real root, if you can)
Fresh dill for garnishing
Salt & pepper
1. Boil potatoes until soft
2. Drain and set aside
3. Add salt, pepper, lemon zest and half the lemon juice
4. Add capers and olive oil (1:3 ratio)
5. Add dill when the potatoes have cooled <I forgot to do this…you’ll notice no dill on the dish:(>
6. Make yogurt sauce by combining yogurt, half the lemon juice and horseradish
7. Plate the smoked salmon, potato salad and drizzle the sauce all over
Aw yeah! Happy happy! It turned out to be quite heavy – you could even have this as a meal. But we were piggish. On the next post, I’ll share the jist of what I know about how SK made her entree: Halibut steaks with lemon caper butter sauce.