I love risotto. Creamy, wholesome and such a sponge for absorbing flavours.
Monday night, I whipped up enough for two portions. Even though it’s a sin to reheat or let risotto sit, I had leftovers and I know I’m still going love it the second night.
2 cups of Arborio rice
1 litre of chicken stock (just buy the box and add some water, or if you’re hardcore, make stock from chicken bones)
Quarter cup of chopped onions
1 cup of frozen peas
2 – 4 scallops
Salt and pepper
Patience (25 minutes worth) – it’s worth it
1. Heat up the chicken stock to a boil, then reduce to medium
2. Heat oil in a pan, sear the onions till soft
3. Add rice and stir for 2 minutes
4. Add heated stock – a cup at a time. Stir until the liquid is absorbed before adding another ladle of stock.
5. Patience is key – keep stirring and adding stock every time the rice looks like it’s sticking. About 25 mins.
6. Add mushrooms, lemon zest and throw in the peas with about 5 mins left.
1. With 5 mins remaining, start a new pan for the scallops. Dry the scallops. Salt and pepper both sides.
2. Heat some oil and butter (med-high), when the butter starts foaming, put the scallops in.
3. Sear scallops for only about 2-3 mins per side, it should be just firm to the touch. You don’t want to overcook them.